Bicycle Agenda 2017-2020
7. Less stolen bicycles
Bicycle theft is not only a nuisance for the owner of the stolen bicycle, but it is the reason that 1 in 10 Dutch people do not use the bicycle. Secure bicycle storage and ICT applications can reduce this.
- Develop an effective future strategy to reduce bicycle theft.
- Easier, customer orientated online bicycle registration
- Ensuring faster processing of online bicycle theft reports
- Ensure adequate capacity in detection and enforcement
- Develop standards for bicycle detection through a chip or detection label.
- Explore how a database can provide a proper bicycle registration and what benefits it offers to consumers and market participants, with privacy guaranteed first
- Develop a system for retrieving electronically detected stolen bicycles
The 8 goals of the Bicycle Agenda 2017-202
- Netherlands as the leading bicycle country
- More room for the bicycle in cities
- Boosting the quality on busy and important regional cycling routes
- Optimise the transition from the bicycle to other modes, PT-bike and car-bike
- Targeted cycling promotion
- Less cycling casualties
- Less stolen bicycles
- Increase knowledge